Saturday, June 17, 2006

Saturday in The Slope

Had a good Saturday morning in the neighborhood....

Spent some time walking around The Brooklyn Botanic Garden, then finally checked out the Brooklyn Museum, which is right next door to BBG. It's a nice museum - some of my favorites included Georgia O' Keefe's Brooklyn Bridge and Stuart Davis's Mellow Pad.

What I didn't like was an Untitled piece by Ad Reinhardt which essentially looked like a black painting. Yet it took 6 years. It reminded me of Smell The Glove by Spinal Tap. I mean, how much more black could the painting be? And how is that considered art?

Another thought I had as we surveyed the extensive Egyptian artifacts was how amazing it was that these ancient peoples who were equipped with the most primitive tools could create such incredible and exquisite works of art that would stand the test of time. I mean, nowadays, people are too lazy to learn how to use PowerPoint on their own, which takes no painstaking chiseling or carving (point, click people, point and click).

Afterwards, we headed to The Brooklyn Public Library where I picked up some books that were waiting for me and then we made our way through the Green Market at Grand Army Plaza.

No comments: