Sunday, December 25, 2005

Don't Get It Twisted


The most recent show we went to was Q101's Twisted 12, featuring Hot Hot Heat, Death Cab for Cutie and The Psychedelic Furs.

Once again we had to brave Chicago's arctic tundra but at least it was a weekend night. I hadn't realized that it was an all-ages show and my wife and I found ourselves waiting in line for the doors to open amid awkward teens and tweens. I heard an exchange behind me go something like: Boy - "How are we getting home?" Girl - "My dad's picking us up."

Jesus, how old am I? Alas, I took my bitter old bones up to the balcony section of the Aragon, plopped myself down in some choice seats with an unobstructive view and started downing my six-dollar Miller Lite. The Aragon is a really interesting venue. It is designed to look like a Spanish villa, I think. Anyhow, watching the teens and tweens on the main floor from the balcony was fascinating voyeurism - seeing them travel in packs, give awkward exchanges, and sport even more awkward attire. For the tech-savvy kids, they even projected their text messages onto a screen overhead for all to see. Weird.

As for the music, Hot Hot Heat's set was tight and demonstrated again that our neighbors to the North are producing some good music. Death Cab for Cutie, though, was the show-stopper. There was something palpable in the air and the place was absolutely packed when they got onstage. They did a few songs from Plans and a number of hits from Transatlanticism, including the set's finale "Sound of Settling."

It was clear that they were the most talented band of the three, which leads to the peculiar selection of 80's group The Psychedelic Furs as the headliner. It was depressing. At least half the place cleared out - never a good thing for the main act. Even more departed as their set continued. They didn't help their cause by not playing any of their identifiable songs ("Love My Way", "Pretty in Pink") until the latter portion of the show. It was uninspired and sounded dated.

We should have left after Death Cab....

No comments: