Sunday, March 26, 2006

Ridiculous Neighborhood Names

So, a couple weeks ago I was watching Jane's New York on the local NBC affiliate here in NYC. Local reporter Jane Hanson apparently has her own show where she covers such fascinating and diverse topics as "A Dog's Life", "Gay Life" and "Castles".

Anyhow, this particular program focused on the NYC real estate market, which we all know is a bitch. But this program was an absolute mess and came off more like an infomercial for big brokers as opposed to an informative program providing helpful tips for consumers.

The one thing that I did learn - there are lots of new neighborhoods popping up all the time. Actually, let me rephrase that. There are lots of new neighborhood names popping up all the time as brokers scramble to put a trendy label on a sub-subsegment of an area in an attempt to raise housing/rental prices. Some of the crazy ones I heard were SoBro (South of the Bronx) and FloMa (Flower Market district).

I think I will just start saying I live EaPenn (East of Pennsylvania) or SoCan (South of Canada).

No comments: