Saturday, February 11, 2006

Clubbing in Manhattan

We are avid clubgoers and it is so refereshing to be in Manhattan, the heart of it all.

Just kidding. I never go to clubs.

So it was a bit comical to have to wait in line at Taj on West 21st St. Granted, we were there solely because our friend was having her birthday party gathering. But as I approach my 30's, I promised I would never wait in line for anything - except for perhaps the men's room and only if I really had to go.

It was such a stereotypical NYC club experience - the manufactured hype, the fact that they make you stand in the cold to create the impression that it is a place worth waiting for, the ridiculous mandatory coat check ($3 per coat!) and the $9 Grey Goose and Tonic that I ordered. It was the only drink I had, needless to say. We made our appearance and got out of there.

Across the street, I noticed another so-called trendy club, called Duvet, which apparently has a bunch of mattresses that hip Manhattanites and wannabes from Jersey can lounge on. It then struck me that I should open up a new club/lounge called Bidet. People could sip overpriced martinis on toliet bowls and bidets. C'mon, it's just as ridiculous!

No comments: