Thursday, February 23, 2006

People Are Basically Insane

I recently received an email from a former supervisor from a former employer. I hadn't talked to this person since I left so it was with some surprise that I heard from him.

When I shared this with a friend who also used to work at XYZ company, he called it immediately. Former Supervisor (let's call him ABC), was probably reaching out because he was now promoted and wanted to gloat about how great the organization was now that he was in charge.

I decided to bite the bullet and call ABC since he contacted me and I hadn't spoken to him in years. Basically, I wanted to be polite and reciprocate the effort. My friend was correct, however. ABC went on and on about how lots of changes were being made and how it was a great place to be, etc. ABC really didn't ask me much about my life. And it was transparent - he didn't call because he was genuinely interested in hearing about me, but because he wanted to tell me how great he was doing. He wanted to talk to me to make himself feel better.

Sadly, I could really care less. I hadn't really thought of this person since I left. Hell, it was two jobs ago! But obviously this person took my departure (and my friend's) personally. His attempt to find us is akin to a jilted lover calling an old flame to tell him/her about a new love they have found. There's a part of me that regrets calling because I gave this person some satisfaction in being able to talk about how his life and the organization were so great nowadays. But there was also a part of me that kind of felt sorry for this person who obviously has carried this grudge (or whatever you call it) around for a while and was just waiting for a moment to say "I told you things were going to get better but you didn't stick around."

It's pretty pathetic and then it struck me that so many people are nuts. I mean, I've got insecurities and neuroses with the best of them, but I'm pretty sure they don't affect other people.

Also, I've decided that fundamentally, people don't change. If you were an insecure asshole back in the day, you probably still are one. If you were a decent, considerate person in high school, you probably still are a nice guy today. For some naive reason, I always held onto the ideal that people matured or improved with age, but I've encountered so many individuals who still exhibit unprofessional, immature, or straight-up kooky behavior despite advanced age or high positions of power. People are insane.

No comments: