Friday, August 31, 2007

Fuzzy Balls

Tennis balls, that is.

So one night I wear a "hipster" hat and the next I put on my "corporate" hat.

Last night I got a chance to go to The U.S. Open at Arthur Ashe Stadium in Flushing, Queens.

I'm not a huge tennis fan but it was a pretty cool experience being there for the first time. My company has a corporate suite so I got a chance to watch the matches in style.

The weather was great and after seeing Maria Sharapova polish off Casey Dellacqua in a mere 51 minutes, it was on to the marathon match between James Blake and Fabrice Santoro. It went 5 sets and the two went back and forth like two pugilists who couldn't deliver a knock-out punch to finish off their opponent. Finally, Blake triumphed with a 6-4 win in the final set to take it all. The crowd appreciated the gutsy performance by both athletes and showered them with applause when it was all over.

Colin Farrell, ex-NYC mayor David Dinkins and Monica Seles were all in attendance and shown on the big screen.

After the 3 hour and 25 minute match, the crowd dispersed around 12:30am and I took the 7 train back to Manhattan. I ended up back in Park Slope around 2am. It was a long night but a pretty entertaining one.

No comments: