Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Summer in NYC: How Do I Hate Thee, Let Me Count The Ways

This morning I woke up to a torrential downpour in Park Slope. I needed to make it to work as I had a 9:00 am meeting. I decided to go early so I could prepare. I left my apartment at 7:00 am and headed to the subway station only to find out that the 2/3 trains weren't running. Okay, what to do? After an unsuccessful attempt to get a cab, I finally called Arecibo and took the car service into Manhattan.

Traffic was ridiculous and what should have taken 30 minutes or less ended up taking an hour. Even then, traffic was crawling and I eventually got out of the car and walked six blocks to get to the office. Some of my co-workers walked to work - one from Union Square, one from Grand Central, one from the Upper East Side. Others took cabs. Some didn't make it in at all.

It's amazing how some rain crippled the mass transit system. NY Times covers the story here.

UPDATE: More coverage on the chaos, the commuter frustration and the Brooklyn tornado?! from the Times here. And, uh, does anyone else notice that this extreme weather is due to the friggin' climate crisis????

No comments: