Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Protect Yo Digits

Yesterday I received a voicemail from the fraud department of a certain "premium" brand credit card that I use.

Curious I first Googled the number to make sure it was legit and then dialed it. After validating my info, I was informed that someone tried using my CC# but I had the actual plastic card!

Apparently whomever this thief is, he/she tried to put about $1400 or so on it at a Target store in the Bronx. The charge did not go through but it made me wonder - How did they get my number? Who was this criminal? And what kind of idiot tries to buy $1400 worth of goods w/o having the actual card in their possession? Did they just roll up to the cashier with a piece of paper and the cc# on it? So shady.

2 comments:

KP said...

This happened to me about 5 years ago! Someone in Boone, Kentucky went on a shopping spree with my card # at Walmart. The problem is, when I reported this to my bank (it was my bank card), they didn't have a 'check box' for 'card is still in my possession, but I didn't authorize someone to charge'. We went round and round. It's a long story. Including police officers from Boone that don't do 'detective work' over the phone and who wanted me to fly to them. It all worked out in the end, but I never found out how they got my card number. scary.

kw said...

Me too! Mine was on a debit card and someone had a hell of a time at a TGI Friday's in Guadalajara Mexico when I had my card in my wallet. They cleared out my bank account and it took 3 weeks to get back into my account. I was lucky to be in a position where I didn't have a rent check due. I try and live in a cash only world now so my number is out there less and less. Working my way back towards an ATM card where I can only use it with a pin number to take out cash.

Good luck your lucky they didn't let him use your number. Plus shouldn't Target be held liable on some level for letting someone try and use your card there! Argh! So frustrating...